Bandicam is one of the most popular screen recording software available for Windows users. With over a decade of presence in the market, the software has helped millions of users capture gameplay videos, record tutorials, take screenshots, and more. According to the official website, over 10 million people use their software for screen recording. That’s just like a Wow moment! for their entire team. The reason is quite obvious as you can record anything with this software.
In this in-depth review, we will take a comprehensive look at all the important aspects of this screen recorder software.
What is Bandicam?
Bandicam is a lightweight screen recorder software designed for Windows, capable of capturing high-quality videos of anything on your PC screen. It functions as a screen recorder, game recorder, and webcam recorder. As of December 22, 2023, the latest version is Bandicam Screen Recorder 7.0.2 Build 2138.
Bandicam has both 32-bit and 64-bit versions available. The 64-bit version is compatible with Windows 10 and Windows 11. Users can download it from various sources, including the official website, Uptodown, and FileHorse.
Key Aspects of Bandicam:
- Platform support: Bandicam is available only for Windows operating systems. It does not support Mac or Linux.
- Recording modes: It offers screen recording, game recording, and device recording modes to capture different types of content.
- File formats: Recorded videos can be saved in AVI or MP4, while screenshots are saved as JPG, PNG or BMP files.
- Hardware acceleration: This supports hardware acceleration for H.264 video encoding using Nvidia, Intel, and AMD GPUs. This improves recording quality and performance.
- Additional tools: Along with the recorder, it also bundles Bandicut – a video editing tool to trim, split or join recorded clips.
This is a versatile screen recording software that captures gameplay videos, online tutorials, webinars, presentations, and more within a Windows environment. Its recording modes suit various user groups, including gamers, educators and professionals.
Here is a detailed overview of the key features offered by Bandicam:
1. Screen Recording Mode
This is the primary screen recording mode where you can capture your entire desktop or a selected region. It supports recording system audio along with screen capture.
2. Game Recording Mode
Bandicam’s dedicated game recording mode ensures smooth gameplay capture for 2D, 3D, and VR games without compromising performance. Support for recordings up to 144 FPS guarantees a high-quality playback experience for gaming enthusiasts.
3. Device Recording Mode
Capture content from external devices such as webcams, smartphones, consoles, and IPTV boxes connected via HDMI or other ports. This feature enhances versatility, allowing you to effortlessly incorporate diverse multimedia elements into your recordings.
4. Webcam Overlay
Integrating a webcam video overlay onto your screen recordings enhances engagement for video tutorials, presentations, and screencasts. This feature is particularly valuable for creating personalized and interactive content.
Automate recording sessions by setting up daily or weekly schedules, eliminating the need for manual initiation. This is ideal for capturing regular activities or events without requiring constant user intervention.
5. Real-time Drawing Tools
Enhance your recordings with real-time drawing tools. Whether it’s annotating, highlighting, or adding shapes and text, these tools empower you to create engaging and informative content by providing on-the-fly visual explanations.
6. Video Editing
Basic video editing capabilities are included with the bundled Bandicut editor. Trim, split, and join your recorded clips effortlessly, streamlining the post-production process and allowing for quick content refinement.
7. Screenshot Capture
Capture high-quality screenshots during or after recording sessions in standard formats. This feature complements the video recording functionality, providing a quick and efficient way to capture key moments in static images.
8. Multiple Audio Tracks
Bandicam enables simultaneous recording of system audio, microphone input, and other audio sources on separate tracks. This allows for precise control during post-production, ensuring a well-balanced audio mix.
9. Hardware Acceleration
Utilizing GPU for H.264 video encoding, Bandicam optimizes video quality and performance without overloading the CPU. This hardware acceleration ensures smooth recording, even for high-resolution and resource-intensive content.
10. Customizable Hotkeys
Enhance your workflow by assigning start/stop recording and other actions to keyboard or mouse buttons. Customizable hotkeys provide convenience and efficiency, allowing you to focus on your content without disruptions.
11. Video/Audio Settings
Configure various encoding settings like resolution, frame rate, bitrate, codec, etc. Bandicam offers a comprehensive set of options to meet your specific recording requirements.
12. Multi-monitor Support
Record across single or multiple monitors connected to your Windows desktop. This provides flexibility and supports users with multi-display setups, making Bandicam a suitable choice for various recording environments.
These are some of the main features that make Bandicam a powerful yet user-friendly screen recording software. Let’s now look at its pricing models.
Bandicam offers both free and paid versions, allowing users to choose based on their needs and budget. The paid version comprises features such as unlimited recording/editing for one year, discounted packages combining Bandicam and Bandicut (Personal), and free updates with tech support.
Licenses are one-time purchases for perpetual use. Additional licenses can be purchased anytime later. Educational and commercial pricing is also available.
Read More: Xvid Review – All You Need to Know
Bandicam Pros and Cons
Like any software, Bandicam has its own set of advantages and limitations. Here is a balanced view of its pros and cons:
- Intuitive and easy-to-use interface.
- Lightweight with minimal performance/resource impact.
- Robust screen, game and device recording capabilities.
- Hardware acceleration improves quality and performance.
- Scheduled and real-time annotation features.
- Affordable lifetime license pricing.
- Active development and quick bug fixes/updates.
- Good technical support through the forums knowledge base.
- Windows only, no Mac/Linux support.
- The free version caps recordings to 10 minutes.
- Lacks advanced video editing features.
- Watermark on free version videos.
- No cloud-based or mobile access.
- The interface could offer more customization options.
- Occasional bugs were reported during recording/playback.
Overall, Bandicam provides excellent value and features for basic screen recording needs. The pros outweigh its minor cons. However, users seeking advanced editing may need additional video editing software.
This comprehensive Bandicam review covers all aspects of this popular screen recording software, from features to pricing, reviews and alternatives. Some key takeaways are:
- This offers reliable and versatile screen, game and device recording capabilities.
- Its intuitive interface, hardware acceleration and additional tools enhance the user experience.
- Both free and paid licenses are available, though the latter removes all limitations.
- A lifetime license offers the best long-term value for money among paid options.
- User reviews are highly positive, noting ease of use, performance and developer support.
- While alternatives exist, it remains a top choice for balanced features at affordable prices.
If you are looking for a simple yet powerful screen recorder for basic recording needs within your budget, Bandicam is undoubtedly worth considering. Its reliable performance, active development, and excellent user ratings make it a safe choice for personal and professional use.